Five Feet Zero

self indulgent and short.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Blerve, perhaps? Maybe even pervog

Okay, okay I confess - I am a blogperv. I have become completely consumed with reading other people's blogs. In fact, I am so obsessed with it, that J at work is beginning to fear for my sanity. I stalk blogs every free minute I get at work, and sometimes, even when I'm at home. So Leddies and Gents, please to applaud as I take a bow for being the biggest loser on the planet. Thank you, Thank you.
Seriously though, during a moment of respite from my newest addiction, I started thinking - what is it about reading other people's tragedies, trials and tribulations (people seem to blog more often when they're sad) that interests us so much? Why am I willing to spend hours trawling through cyber-reams of random ramblings, especially when they're written by people I don't even know? Why do I care about what eM did with her weekend, even when I'm sometimes too exhausted to string together a coherent thought?
And then over the weekend, I found some people who were blogging about all the same shit that I was going through. And that's when it hit me (and this may not seem like a particular startling revelation to most of you, but it just kinda struck me and I was amazed at my intelligence, so shush) - that without realising it, I had been searching for validity all along. Despite all the modern tools of communication, I'd been feeling essentially alone. And while I partied and drank my self silly every night, few of my friends really knew what was going on with me, and I was too scared that they wouldn't understand even if they did know. And so, I took to blogging, and compulsively reading other people's blogs. And honestly, I've been feeling a little better. It helps to know that I'm not the only freak.

Anyway, in other news - I felt very hip and cool all weekend. Friday night I went to newest lounge bar in the city, and it's fabulous. For all you non-Mumbai people reading this, when you come to this city, you must go to Shiro. It's beauuuutiful, and very trendy. I met at least half the people I know in the city. I kid you not. All the Cathedralites were there, so was some of the Campion gang (including the incredibly hot ND. We chatted; he's totally drool-worthy, but a little daft), plus a lot of girls from my school. So I schmoozed and air-kissed and got home suitably tipsy. And then on Saturday night, I went to a friend's art show. It wasn't until I got there that I realised just how important the said friend is. I must confess, I felt super-cool and I-know-everyone-that-matters-in-this-city esque. Just for the record, if anyone reading this is planning to buy some art - Indraneil Kamath is the Next Big Thing. Honestly.
And then onwards to Indigo Deli for dinner, Poison for some hard-core boogeying and finally ended the night at Lobby Bar. Lobby Bar is a happy new discovery of mine - it's by the sea, stays open late and plays decent house music. Another must-visit.

Arreh wah, pretty long post, no? Besides for all of the above, work still sucks - Megalomaniac Boss keeps blowing hot and cold, and I'm currently working on a bunch of really shitty stories. If anyone has a job to offer me in journalism (anywhere in the world, really, I'm not picky), please feel free to leave comments below.

6 Comments:

  • At 2:16 AM, Blogger Nikhil said…

    you are infinitely cooler than I am, miss five foot zero. And much longer too. I barely even reach half a foot :( oh wait I mean :)

    I wish I could say the same about Shiro but the fact is that when it was visited by me last saturday night I saw more of its front door closed right before my nose than anything else. Apparently it was thronged by too many resulting in a doors-closed-no-more-I-beseech-you state and many a hotheaded party-fiends.

     
  • At 2:19 AM, Blogger Nikhil said…

    excuse that grammatical tragedy - that's party-fiend, not party-fiends.

     
  • At 1:01 PM, Blogger fivefeetzero said…

    egghead, that indeed is a rather tragic state of affairs. visit it you must, perhaps with the new significant other. it's very romantic - thousands of little red candles, dim lights and a giant bed hanging from the ceiling. (i'm obviously not doing justice to this place, but really, it is beautiful). try a weeknight - weekends it's crowded with the see-and-be-seen crowd (myself fivefeetzero included). btw, i know you want me to say something about the aforementioned size of your member, but i will resist the urge to make crude jokes.

     
  • At 8:00 PM, Blogger Zaphod said…

    Yes, everyone tends to blog more often when they are sad...okay mebbe i am generalizing but I know when I am with freinds, I would rather be the happy guy...and you have no idea how similar lives and issues plaguing people are so yeah, you aren't the only one out there!
    Oh and thanks for suggesting places in Bombay...I am headed there in December and instead of being the clueless visitor, would be good to have a few names to whip out at my friends!!

     
  • At 4:18 PM, Blogger fivefeetzero said…

    zaphod, i think it's also easier to be melodramatic and tragic-hero-esque when we're anonymous. about the places in mumbai - i'm thinking of posting a fivefeetzero guide to the best of mumbai nightlife. stay tuned ;)

     
  • At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Please re-read what you just posted. The documentary film-maker you were has truly died.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home