Five Feet Zero

self indulgent and short.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Wrapped in melancholy

The city glowers at me and the yellow burns into my skin.
You speak,
But I can only see your lips move.
The crash and the clamour threaten to overwhelm me.
There are no thoughts,
Only a constant static in my head.
I teeter on the edge,
And my heart rattles frighteningly in my ribcage.
I want to talk but my lips seem glued together,
And my voice dismembers from the rest of my body.
I croak.
I stop.
I give in.
My vision blurs, my toe-ring twinkles at me from the darkness and my world stops making sense.

It hasn't sunken in, you know? Sometimes it hits me - when I see a book you've lent me sitting on my bookshelf, or when I look at my phone and remember that it's yours. It hits me when I hear Dave Matthews, and it hits me when I'm faced with some obscure existential dilemma, but you aren't waiting with the answer already figured out.

I need to believe that someday things will be alright - that we can go back to what we had, and that the magical switch of time will return to me my lost friendship.

6 Comments:

  • At 3:48 AM, Blogger Leo M said…

    if you see a book someone lent you on your bookshelf, maybe you should return it

     
  • At 4:34 PM, Blogger Nikhil said…

    it was waiting to happen, my dear girl. You just didn't see it.

    however, that doesn't make it your fault. Know that.

     
  • At 6:19 PM, Blogger Zaphod said…

    Shorty, looks like you got a bad case of a jazz song

     
  • At 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    o dear we're all in the same boat. of course there'll be good times again. but for what it's worth, i know exactly what you're going through. chin up girl!

     
  • At 3:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    he hee... I know I should not laugh at this post of yours (after all its a very sad one). But truthfully your poetic prose was too much for me to resist !!

    For my two pence of advice check the comment I left you when you asked about the platonicity of boy-girl friendship... may be you shoudl give it a shot?

     
  • At 1:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Uhm... when a guy is that in love with you stop wishing for your friendship back because because there NEVER was a friendship in the first place. He was just waiting for the right time to break it to you. If you guys DO become friends again, trust me you're leading him on

     

Post a Comment

<< Home